27 April 2013

X is for...

Welcome to day twenty-four of the A to Z Challenge!


Today's topic is xylophone.


I was ten when we left Berlin and moved to Misawa Air Force Base in Japan. I was not thrilled with Mom's new assignment, because I got to experience an earthquake and a typhoon in my first week. I was more than ready for this particular tour of duty to be over.

I was in this music class with a teacher whose name I can no longer recall at my elementary school and we got to play with all these instruments to try to play a song. I got to play the xylophone. I loved it. I loved its sound. It kind of reminder me of this album Daddy used to play called Tubular Bells. So awesome.

Anyway, my love of music found a new outlet that day. I went from there to singing in the choir. Ah, the good old days. I sang in choir from 8th grade on (7th grade wasn't allowed in the choir, so I played the oboe in band that year). My poor parents went to choir concert after choir concert.

Do you have a fondness for an instrument or book or film that ignited a passion?

6 comments:

  1. My dad is a retired music teacher, and both he and my mom are major music lovers with eclectic taste. For all my dad's main instrument was trumpet, it was piano that was my "thing." I tried my hand at saxophone, too, but merely tolerated it. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I managed piano okay when I was in high school. I've gotten out of the habit of practicing and I think I may have to start all over!

      Delete
  2. Sounds like quite the adventures for a young kid! At least Japan gave you fond memories of musical instruments. :) I love the sound of wooden xylophones, although perhaps there's a more musical term for them, I remember them from music class as well. :)

    Have fun with the rest of the challenge.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by, Jessica. I do have fond memories, not only of musical instruments, but also of Japan itself. :-)

      Delete
  3. I remember playing the xylophone in elementary school. We were always excited on the days the teacher brought them out!


    http://agutandabutt.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They were a blast! Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete